The ESM303-003 safety shield is designed for use with the Mark-10 ESM303 motorized test stand. When properly used, it can protect the operator against the dangers of airborne debris resulting from compression and tension force testing. Follow these assembly and usage instructions:
1. The safety shield is shipped fully assembled. Remove it from the box and remove the protective packaging.
2. Position the mounting bracket on top of the ESM303 column, aligning the thru holes with the corresponding threaded holes at the top of the ESM303 test stand column. Fasten the six provided socket head screws, as shown in Fig. 1.
3. Plug the interlock cable into the corresponding connector in the rear of the test stand column, labeled “AUX. LIMITS”, as shown in Fig. 2.
4. Route all cables, such as the test stand power cable and control panel cable, underneath the shield, as shown in Fig. 3. Do not route cables through the cutout in the sheet metal cover. Doing so can result in damage to the cables while the door is rotating past this area. This cutout is provided for hand access to the connector panel only.
5. The door may be opened in the clockwise or counter-clockwise direction. Magnetic detents are provided for the closed position. If the interlock cable is plugged in, the test stand’s control panel will display the message “SHIELD OPEN” when the door is open. The test stand cannot be operated in this state, however, the FollowMeTM function may be used to adjust the crosshead position for sample loading. Note that the following minimum test stand ﬁ rmware versions are required:
Front: 2.02.08 Main: 2.02.07
Fig. 2 ESM303 rear connectors
Fig. 1 Attaching the shield assembly to the ESM303 test stand column
Fig. 3 Proper cable routing
With prior ﬁ rmware versions, the FollowMeTM function will not operate while the door is open, however, the Auto Return function can still be used to return the crosshead to the home position automatically. Contact Mark-10 for upgrade instructions. For further instructions refer to the ESM303 user’s guide